Monday, March 8th is International Women’s Day. This is a day to celebrate the achievements of women and girls, as well as a day to raise awareness of the work that still needs to be done.
Years back, I was asked why I bothered recognizing this day because “women here have it pretty good.”
Since when is “pretty good” the point in which we stop? Since when do we settle with “pretty good”? “Pretty good” isn’t good enough for me and I’m not going to stop working for equality at pretty good.
Take action on Monday to do both -celebrate and raise awareness. Here are some ways you can do this:
- Follow these hashtags: #ChooseToChallenge, #HeforShe, #IWD2021
- Find feminist groups or people to follow, so throughout the year you can hear feminist commentary to our world
- Listen for, and speak against, sexist speech and actions
- Donate to an organization that defends and bolsters women, anitaB.org, Canada Women’s Foundation, a local women’s shelter, or educational opportunities for girls
- Read female authors, watch women created content, and buy from women business owners
This is not a day just for women, this is a day for everyone. Because everyone is better when everyone’s human rights are honoured.